The championship weekend for Washington high school spring sports is in full swing, with state meets for track & field, baseball, softball and boys soccer underway.
Here are a few news items and feature stories from news outlets around the state, along with a national trend piece.
Have an additional feature, news item or trend piece? Drop a link in the comments below this post.
- Gonzaga Prep standout Anton Watson, a Gonzaga University commit, was named to the USA Men’s U19 World Cup Training Camp roster.
- University of Michigan hired former NBA All-Star and member of the Fab-5 Juwan Howard to be its next coach, replacing John Beilein, who left earlier this month to helm the Cleveland Cavaliers. Where does that leave four-star Lynden Christian standout Cole Bajema, who has signed a Letter of Intent to UM? The 6-foot-7 wing is still “sitting tight,” as his family told Scorebook Live on May 13.
- Are year-round basketball schedules placing young athletes at risk for knee injuries? Samantha Pell of The Washington Post reports many doctors worry so.
- Michael Came is the top pitcher on the red hot Olympia baseball team, which continues its upset run in the 4A state semifinals Friday. The Tacoma News Tribune/ The Olympian’s Jon Manley tells the inspiring story of Came, who has a prosthetic leg that he doesn’t let effect his play.
- How Stadium’s softball team went from having just seven players, to the 3A state tournament: Dave Weber of The Tacoma News Tribune has the story.
- W.F. West boys basketball coach Kyle Karnofski has been hired as the school’s new girls basketball coach, replacing Tom Kelly, reports Jordan Nailon of The Chronicle of Lewis County.
- Lynwood hired Casey Tucker to replace Bobby Hinnenkamp as its next boys basketball coach, reports Brian Adamosky of The Everett Herald.
Andy Buhler is a sports reporter for Scorebook Live Washington. To hear him every week on the Scorebook Live Today podcast, subscribe here. Follow him on Twitter @AndyBuhler and reach him via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.