Former Central Valley girls basketball coach Freddie Rehkow takes a look at 20 girls basketball players to watch this week at the Washington high school 4A and 3A state tournament in Tacoma.
4A GIRLS TO WATCH
Jordyn Jenkins – Kentridge – Junior
- Jordyn is a 6-3 post player who is a tough guard for other post players, but can move her game outside some and cause problems for other team’s position players. Not only can she score, but she defends well and is a very good passer. She’s a key reason why Kentridge is the 4A front runner trying to repeat their 2017 state championship run.
Mia Hughes – Woodinville – Sophomore
- Mia is a juggernaut who will battle until the battle is over. Somewhat undersized at 5-9 she plays like a bigger post when she is inside, however she can stretch the defense out as well. She has the Falcons looking to get back to the state championship game, but things will be a little tougher now that others know about her.
Jacinta Buckley – Lewis & Clark – Senior
- Jacinta is your do-it-all player who not only leads the team statistically, but is also the vocal leader you want on your team. A UNLV commit, Jacinta is a smooth lefty who will lift you, drive to the hoop, and score from all angles. To add to the danger she brings, she can stroke the three just like LC’s guards.
Keeli Burton – Eastlake -Junior
- Keeli, a 6-3 post, was a huge factor to the Lady Wolves run in 2018 and will once again be a part of Eastlake’s 3-headed monster to try and make another run at state. Keeli is vital to the Lady Wolves chances of making that state championship run.
Tomekia Whitman – Central Valley – Senior
- Whitman is an important piece to Central Valley defending their state championship. Having had state and national exposure her junior year, along with a solid club season, she has committed to Idaho State and is an athletic and speedy wing player playing inside for the smaller Bears.
Hailey Grambo – Glacier Peak – Senior
- Hailey is a scrappy and feisty player who not only sees and runs the floor well, but is a tough-nosed guard who plays in-your-face defense. Hailey will be instrumental in giving Glacier Peak a chance to get to the big dance, but she’s not the type of kid who’ll just be happy getting there … she wants to win it!
Other 4A Players to Watch:
Ashlee Maldonado – Sunnyside
Jaquaya Miller – Kentridge
Madison Dubois – Woodinville
Mae Bryant – Eastlake
3A GIRLS TO WATCH
Brooke Walling – Prairie – Senior
- An instrumental piece of Prairie’s success and a force to be reckoned with. Brooke is a Fresno St. commit and can play both inside and outside. Night in and night out you will see Brooke play at a Division 1 level and demonstrate why Prairie is a front runner to win the 3A State Championship.
Oumou Toure – Kamiakin – Senior
- Oumou is and has been Kamiakin’s best player since her freshman year. Listed as 6-0, she can play inside with most posts, but has the all around game to step out and score from anywhere on the floor. Oumou is also a solid defender who can control the boards against smaller teams. Oumou knows how to score and isn’t afraid to attack the rim. With Oumou on the floor and healthy, Kamiakin has to be considered a contender in the 3A championship picture.
Dalayah Daniels – Garfield – Sophomore
- Dalayah is turning heads on the West Side of the state, but that’s not the only place she’s turning them. After participating in some of the big post camps, she’s turning heads all around the West coast. A 6-4 post that is tough to guard could mean trouble for the 3A teams come tournament time. If you think the 3A battle is just between Prairie, Mt. Spokane, and Kamiakin … you’d better take think again!
- Yeah, yeah, I know it’s three names, but each are deserving of being on the players to watch list. This three-headed monster is lethal and their only blemish is to the #2 ranked 4A Central Valley Bears team. Aspyn is a sharp shooting guard who can stretch any defense, Jayda is probably one of the most athletic players in the state, and Niveya is finding her niche from both inside and outside. When these three players are working well together, you’d better believe they have a chance to win it all.
Other 3A Players to watch:
Molly Moffit – Seattle Prep
Megan Fiso – West Seattle
Cassidy Gardner – Prairie
Belle Frazier – Peninsula