There’s still more football to be played Saturday, but the state championship games are set in Divisions I through IV.
In Canton next week, it’ll be Springfield-St. Edward in D-I, Archbishop Hoban-Winton Woods in D-II, Chardon-Badin in D-III and Clinton-Massie vs. Ursuline in D-IV.
Winton Woods (photo above by Ben Jackson) knocked off two Top 25 teams on its way to the Division II state championship game Thursday, while the other three games will be Friday.
HOW SBLIVE’S OHIO TOP 25 FARED IN THE STATE SEMIFINALS
1. St. Xavier lost to Lakota West 12-2 in Round 3
Lakota West avenged its Week 1 loss to the Bombers.
2. St. Edward beat Upper Arlington 16-10
St. Edward’s defense was the difference in getting the Eagles back to the Division I state championship game.
3. Medina lost to St. Edward 41-6 in the regional final
As dominant as Medina had been all year, that’s how badly the Bees struggled to get anything going against St. Edward.
4. Lakota West lost to Archbishop Moeller 21-17 in the regional final
In an entertaining, back-and-forth game, Lakota West got to the Moeller 35-yard line but had two deep passes fall incomplete.
5. St. Ignatius lost to Medina 27-14 in Round 3
St. Ignatius couldn’t keep up with Drew Allar and the Bees.
6. Springfield beat Archbishop Moeller 22-21
Springfield got back-to-back sacks and then a blocked punt to punch the Wildcats’ ticket to Canton next week.
7. Toledo Central Catholic lost to Avon 43-42 (OT) in the regional final
Toledo Central Catholic played most of the game from behind but took the lead in overtime, only to lose after Avon answered, gambled and won.
8. Upper Arlington lost to St. Edward 16-10
Sam Cannon scores the lone Upper Arlington touchdown on a kickoff return as the Golden Bears struggled to sustain drives against St. Edward.
9. Avon lost to Archbishop Hoban 31-24
Avon caught Archbishop Hoban 24-24 in the fourth quarter, but for yet another defense in November, Hoban running back Lamar Sperling was too much.
10. Chardon beat West Holmes 41-7
The Division III wrecking ball that is Chardon will take on Badin for the state championship next Friday.
11. Pickerington Central lost to Upper Arlington 21-14 (3OT) in the regional final
Pickerington Central clawed back into the game, but the Tigers were plagued by penalties in regulation and overtime.
12. Archbishop Moeller lost to Springfield 22-21
Moeller got three touchdown runs from sophomore Jordan Marshall but fell just short of making it back to the state championship game.
13. Marysville lost to Springfield 27-0 in the regional final
Gabe Powers and Co. couldn’t get anything going on offense against Springfield’s vaunted defense.
14. Archbishop Hoban beat Avon 31-24
Lamar Sperling ran wild again to lead Archbishop Hoban back into the Division II state championship game to face red-hot Winton Woods.
15. Princeton lost to Archbishop Moeller 28-21 in Round 3
Princeton got off to a hot start against Moeller but couldn’t sustain it.
16. Massillon Washington lost to Green 26-25 in the regional final
Green stunned Massillon with just 24 seconds left on the clock.
17. Benedictine lost to Walsh Jesuit 34-20 in Round 3
Top-seeded Benedictine couldn’t keep up with Walsh Jesuit.
18. New Albany lost to Upper Arlington 41-10 in Round 3
New Albany’s dream season came to an end in the regional semifinals.
19. Piqua lost to Winton Woods 38-17 in the regional final
The No. 7-seeded Winton Woods knocked out previously undefeated Piqua by scoring early and often.
20. Walsh Jesuit lost to Archbishop Hoban 49-30 in the regional final
Walsh Jesuit’s offense did its part, but the defense couldn’t stop the Hoban running game.
21. Mentor lost to St. Ignatius 35-32 in Round 1
Mentor suffered a hard-fought loss in Round 1.
22. Hudson lost to Walsh Jesuit 23-14 in Round 2
Hudson couldn’t get anything going in the second half in Round 2.
23. Aurora lost to Dover 43-42 (OT) in Round 2
Aurora fell in one of the most exciting games of the entire season in Round 2.
24. Big Walnut lost to Massillon Washington 38-0 in Round 3
Big Walnut’s previously undefeated season came to an end in convincing fashion.
25. Kings lost to Winton Woods 31-21 in Round 2
Kings couldn’t overcome a slow start in Round 2.