The upset of the night came in one of the Columbus area’s best rivalries, as Pickerington North knocked off No. 3 Pickerington Central in overtime.
And in another storied crosstown rivalry in northern Ohio, Avon Lake won a turnover-filled thriller at Avon.
HOW SBLIVE’S OHIO TOP 25 FARED IN WEEK 4
1. St. Xavier beat Penn (Ind.) 41-10
Another game, another running clock for St. Xavier. The Bombers hit the road again next week for a big game at Archbishop Moeller.
2. St. Edward (3-0)
Saturday: at Cincinnati Elder
3. Pickerington Central lost to Pickerington North 13-10 (OT)
The Tigers’ defense remained stout but the offense couldn’t get going against their crosstown rivals. After Pickerington Central missed a 28-yard field goal to end regulation, Pickerington North converted the winning kick in overtime.
4. Archbishop Hoban beat Archbishop Alter 27-14
After surviving a double-overtime thriller last week, Archbishop Hoban hangs on again to eke out a tough win over Archbishop Alter.
5. Springfield beat Wayne 21-14
Three touchdown runs by QB Te’Sean Smoot were enough for Springfield to hold off Wayne.
6. Mentor lost to North Allegheny (Pa.) 20-16
The Cardinals held a 10-3 lead at halftime and suffered a hard-fought loss in western Pennsylvania to fall to 2-2.
7. Medina beat Stow 38-27
Penn State recruit Drew Allar outdid his four-touchdown performance last week by throwing for 523 yards and five TDs against previously undefeated Stow.
8. La Salle beat Trinity (Ky.) 48-27
La Salle’s balanced performance was too much for the Kentucky hosts to keep up with.
9. Lakota West beat Princeton 24-0
The Firebirds won the de facto GMC championship in convincing fashion and earned coach Tom Bolden his 150th career win (against only 27 losses).
10. Avon lost to Avon Lake 30-24
Turnovers plagued Avon, but the Eagles put up a fight in the fourth before conceding the Silver Rail to Avon Lake.
11. St. Ignatius beat Euclid 44-14
The Wildcats’ dominant second and third quarters were enough to put away winless Euclid.
12. Princeton lost to Lakota West 24-0
The Vikings couldn’t find any offense at Lakota West and suffered their first loss of the season.
13. Avon Lake beat Avon 30-24
The Shoremen are in the driver’s seat for the Southwestern Conference title after handling crosstown rival Avon in thrilling fashion.
14. Massillon Washington beat Warren G. Harding 49-46
Massillon Washington withstood a furious fourth-quarter rally to win its first road contest of the season.
15. Marysville beat Hilliard Bradley 27-7
The Monarchs’ defense continues to impress, having allowed only 13 points in three games this season.
16. Elder, Cincinnati (2-1)
Saturday: vs. St. Edward
17. Chardon beat Riverside 28-7
The Hilltoppers’ defense was stout Friday night, giving up no points until the waning minutes of the fourth quarter.
18. Toledo Central Catholic beat Findlay 41-6
The Fighting Irish raced to a 27-0 lead after one quarter and then cruised to their second straight win after an 0-2 start.
19. Upper Arlington beat Westerville Central 42-0
The Golden Bears made easy work of Westerville Central.
20. Archbishop Moeller beat Ironton 25-7
Moeller’s defense looked dominant against previously undefeated Ironton, and now No. 1 St. Xavier and No. 8 La Salle loom next.
21. Steubenville beat University Prep (Pa.) 34-0
The Big Red handed another beat-down to another out-of-state opponent.
22. Austintown-Fitch lost to Ursuline 48-47
The Falcons set themselves up for the game-winning field goal after a back-and-forth game, but Ursuline blocked it to secure the win.
23. Streetsboro beat Cloverleaf 46-22
That’s three easy wins in a row for Sreetsboro, but the 24-point margin Friday was by far its smallest yet.
24. Aurora beat Copley 42-13
Similar to Streetsboro, Aurora keeps mowing through inferior competition.
25. Hudson beat Twinsburg 49-6
After three close wins to start the season, Hudson exploded Friday, taking a 35-0 lead into halftime.