Each week, SBLive will rank the top 10 teams across the state of Montana regardless of classification. Here’s a look at how those teams fared in games played in Week 10 of the high school football season.
HOW THE TOP 10 FARED — OCT. 29
1. MISSOULA SENTINEL 8-0 (AA) has first-round bye.
Spartans will take their 19-game winning streak into quarterfinal matchup with Great Falls – an opponent they defeated in last year’s playoffs, 42-14,
2. BILLINGS WEST 8-1 (AA) has first-round bye
Golden Bears on eight-game winning streak – and have dominated during that span (337-40). One of those teams was next opponent – Capital (28-0 win).
3. HAMILTON 8-0 (A) has first-round bye
Broncs get their bye, will play the winner of the Sidney vs. Dillon first-round game Saturday
4. LAUREL 8-0 (A) has first-round bye
Locomotives will play the winner of the first-round game between Columbia Falls and Miles City on Saturday.
5. FLORENCE-CARLTON 8-0 (B) hosts Cut Bank on Saturday
Might be the biggest mismatch of the opening round – defending ‘B’ champions playing a one-win squad that has scored more than 14 points just once.
6. HELENA 8-2 (AA) beats Gallatin, 42-28
RB Cade Hollands gives Bengals tiebreaking touchdown run (13 yards) in first half – and sews up first-round victory with 9-yard score late in third quarter.
7. BUTTE 6-3 (AA) has first-round bye
Well, hello, familiar face! West’s No. 2 seed takes on Glacier in state quarterfinals. Two teams met just three weeks ago in 20-17 Butte victory.
8. POLSON 8-0 (A) has first-round bye
Pirates will play the winner of the Billings Central vs. Libby first-round game Saturday. They’ve already defeated Libby earlier this season.
9. HELENA CAPITAL 6-4 (AA) beats CM Russell, 45-7
Near-flawless performance was so dominant, Bruins invoke the 35-point “mercy rule” in the third quarter. They get No. 2 Billings West next.
10. BOZEMAN 5-4 (AA) has first-round bye
Even though East’s No. 2 seed has beaten next opponent – Helena – in past three games, Hawks might be underdogs to QB Kaden Huot and company.
(Featured file photo by Dave Peppenger)