Each week, SBLive will rank the top 10 teams across the state of Idaho regardless of classification. Here’s a look at how those teams fared in games played in Week 11 of the high school football season.
HOW THE TOP 10 FARED — NOV. 5
1. MOUNTAIN VIEW 9-1 (5A) loses to No. 7 Meridian, 35-6
Offense coughs ball up six times. Defense cannot stop run. Consequently, season for 5A SIC champions and consensus No. 1 team in state comes to crashing end.
2. RIGBY 9-1 (5A) beats Capital, 41-14
November is Trojans’ time as 2019 state champions reach final four for third consecutive season behind QB Tiger Adolpho (271 passing yards, three total TDs).
3. ROCKY MOUNTAIN 7-3 (5A) loses to No. 5 Highland, 22-21
There will be a new 5A champion crowned! Late in third quarter, Grizzlies held 21-3 lead – but give it up after fourth-down gamble in their own territory.
4. EAGLE 9-2 (5A) beats No. 6 Coeur d’Alene, 23-14
Now with the longest active winning streak at seven games, the Mustangs – who upended the Vikings with a finishing fourth quarter score – now play Highland.
5. HIGHLAND 9-2 (5A) beats No. 3 Rocky Mountain, 22-21
Rarely can a kicker be credited with winning a playoff game. But Ian Hershey’s big leg did that with game-winning 45-yard field goal – and two others (50, 58 yards).
6. COEUR D’ALENE 6-3 (5A) loses to No. 4 Eagle, 23-14
Vikings’ bid for fifth state semifinal trip in a row falls short. Coeur d’Alene gives up 13 unanswered points after taking early 7-3 lead (Gunner Giulio TD run).
7. MERIDIAN 8-3 (5A) beats No. 1 Mountain View, 35-6
Easily the Warriors’ most complete win in John Zamberlin era. Essentially put game away forcing turnover in first minute of second half – and scoring to go up 21-6.
8. HOMEDALE 9-0 (3A) hosts South Fremont on Saturday
Priority No. 1 for the Cougars: Slow down RB Hayden Kincheloe. He rushed for 348 yards and four touchdowns in state semifinal victory (48-28) a year ago.
9. WEST SIDE 8-0 (2A) hosts Grangeville on Saturday
Part of Pirates’ 30-game winning streak was their 28-7 victory over this same team in the opening round of the state playoffs in 2020. It was 14-7 at half.
10. BISHOP KELLY 8-3 (4A) loses to Pocatello, 28-17
It’s pretty easy to see where it all went wrong in a loss for the Knights – QB Hadley Smith was picked off three times as part of team’s four turnovers.
(Featured photo by Loren Orr Photography)