The 2020 Idaho high school football season is in full swing after a weekend full of teams competing across the state. The weekend brought plenty of great performances — both individually and as a team — and included fantastic playmaking.
Here are the Top 5 plays from the first week.
- WEEK 2 PREVIEW: Top games to watch, players to see, score predictions
TOP 5 PLAYS OF THE WEEK
5. Sandpoint’s Tag Benefield blocks a field goal and returns it 78 yards for a touchdown
The touchdown was a momentum-changer. Benefield brought Sandpoint within a touchdown — 21-14 — in the third quarter, but Post Falls pulled away and won, 35-14.
4. Rigby’s Tiger Adolpho connects an 80-yard touchdown pass to Colton Edwards
It was Adolpho’s first start and he made the most of it. The defending 5A state champs rolled Box Elder (Utah) 51-0 to open the season on Saturday.
3. Lake City’s Uriah Chavez 71-yard TD run on 4th-and-1 call in the fourth quarter
Lake City called run on fourth down and Chavez didn’t just convert. He turned it into a house call, sealing a 26-20 win over crosstown Lakeland. “It was kind of a blink of an eye moment,” Chavez told SBLive. “Pre-snap I knew all I needed was a yard to keep the drive alive, but things happen during a game and luckily the luck was in my favor.”
2. Brigham Lee and company force turnover in overtime to preserve Sugar-Salem win over 4A Century
A big game. A bigger play. Sugar-Salem lit up 3A with its dynamic offense a year ago, but it’s defense gave it the stop it needed to upset No. 6 Century (4A). Brigham Lee and Jonah Schulties caused the fumble, which was recovered by Jerek Rammell.
1. Lewiston’s Cruz Hepburn returns a kickoff for a touchdown to sink Kuna
Lewiston took down the defending 4A state champion. And a big play from the University of Washington baseball commit made that possible, delivering the final blow with an 86-yard kick return for touchdown. The Bengals went on to win 37-30.
(Lead photo by Loren Orr)