Here are Scorebook Live’s Top 25 Southern California high school football rankings for the week of Sept. 9. Our rankings encompass the Southern Section, LA City Section and San Diego Section.
1. Mater Dei (3-0) vs. St. Frances (Maryland), Saturday @ 7 p.m.
Bryce Young’s 528 passing yards against Centennial is a Mater Dei record. They take on St. Francis (Baltimore) Saturday, the consensus No. 2 team in the country.
2. St. John Bosco (3-0) vs. Our Lady of Good Counsel (Maryland), Friday @ 7 p.m.
DJ Uiagalelei had five touchdown passes against Liberty. This week the Braves take on one of the best teams on the East Coast in Our Lady of Good Counsel.
3. Cathedral Catholic (3-0) at Helix, Friday @ 7 p.m.
Cathedral Catholic is up 11 spots on our list after upsetting Corona Centennial.
4. JSerra (2-1) vs. Milton (Georgia), Saturday @ 4 p.m.
After defeating Bishop Amat soundly, JSerra has Milton (Georgia) and then Calabasas before starting league.
5. Corona Centennial (1-2) vs. Liberty (Nevada), Friday @ 7 p.m.
Corona Centennial and Liberty (Nevada), are two of the best teams in the country with losing records. Expect a battle of two hungry teams.
6. Mission Viejo (3-0) vs. Villa Park, Friday @ 7 p.m.
The Diablos followed up a good win over Santa Margarita with an even better win over La Habra.
7. St. Augustine (3-0) at Otay Ranch, Friday @ 7 p.m.
Another week, another dominant win for St. Augustine, who continues to rise.
8. Grace Brethren (3-0) at Oak Hills, Friday @ 7 p.m.
Grace Brethren has a great chance of running the table. Sierra Canyon in late October is the only team that they won’t be heavily favored against.
The Cavaliers are off to a great start after shocking Calabasas on the road. Next up is Long Beach Poly and then Narbonne.
10. Narbonne (2-1) at Orange Lutheran, Friday @ 7 p.m.
Narbonne responded to a disappointing loss against Lone Peak with a shellacking of St. Paul. Orange Lutheran will be a good test, and Treason Holden is back in action.
11. Calabasas (2-1) vs. La Habra, Friday @ 7 p.m.
Calabasas looks to bounce back from a tough loss to Serra against another strong team at home in La Habra.
12. Oaks Christian (2-1) at Alemany, Friday @ 7 p.m.
After a huge win over Sierra Canyon, Alemany is next.
13. Sierra Canyon (2-1) vs. Valencia, Saturday @ 7 p.m.
Sierra Canyon struggled to score against Oaks Christian, losing 21-14.
14. Corona del Mar (3-0) vs. Lakewood, Friday @ 7 p.m.
The Sea Kings are favored to become 4-0 with Lakewood on deck.
15. Notre Dame (Sherman Oaks) (2-0) vs. Paraclete, Friday @ 7 p.m.
Notre Dame can’t overlook Paraclete, who hammered Chaminade two weeks ago.
16. Norco (2-0) vs. Vista Murrieta, Friday @ 7 p.m.
Rancho Cucamonga brought offensive fireworks into Norco as expected last week, but Norco brought more.
17. Servite (1-1) at Cajon, Friday @ 7 p.m.
The Friars fell to a very good Bishop Gorman team in Las Vegas last week. They should get back on track against Cajon.
18. La Habra (2-1) at Calabasas, Friday @ 7 p.m.
La Habra is 2-1 after a very difficult preseason that includes a victory over Upland. It doesn’t get any easier this week at Calabasas.
19. Upland (2-1) vs. Central Catholic, Friday @ 7 p.m.
Upland is back in our top 20 after making short work of a strong Rancho Verde team.
20. Orange Lutheran (2-1) vs. Narbonne, Friday @ 7 p.m.
OLu is 2-1 in what so far has been a brutal preseason. It gets no easier with Narbonne and then Vista Murrieta.
21. Lawndale (1-1) vs. Leuzinger, Friday @ 7 p.m.
After defeating Carlsbad soundly, Lawndale moves up a few spots. They are heavily favored against Leuzinger and Crenshaw before it’s time for Narbonne.
22. San Clemente (3-0) vs. Lincoln, Friday @ 7 p.m.
The Tritons would’ve loved to win more convincingly last week, but the win makes them 3-0. They continue to have little room for error with Lincoln, Edison, and Corona del Mar coming up.
23. Alemany (3-0) vs. Oaks Christian, Friday @ 7 p.m.
Another game, another blowout victory for Alemany. They’ll be in for their biggest test this season with Oaks Christian next.
24. Vista Murrieta (2-0) at Norco, Friday @ 7 p.m.
Vista Murrieta has cracked the Top 25 after starting the season with victories over Los Alamitos and Capital Christian. Still, their best football needs to be ahead of them with Norco and Orange Lutheran next.
25. Rancho Cucamonga (1-2) vs. Faith Lutheran (Nevada), Saturday @ 2:45 p.m.
The Cougars would like to be better than 1-2 right now, but their two losses came to Calabasas and Norco. They have a good chance to be 3-2 with Faith Lutheran and Westlake coming up.