Here are Scorebook Live’s Top 25 California high school football rankings for the week of September 16. Our statewide rankings are released every Monday throughout the 2019 high school football season. The rankings are compiled by Scorebook Live California reporters Connor Morrisette, Bodie DeSilva and Lance Smith.
- Related: How the Top 25 fared last week
1. Mater Dei (4-0) bye week
The Monarchs get a week off after easily handling the consensus No. 2 team in the country.
2. St. John Bosco (4-0) at Mililani (Hawaii), 7 p.m. Saturday
Through four games DJ Uiagalelei has thrown 15 TD passes and zero interceptions.
3. De La Salle (3-1) vs. No. 23 Buchanan, 7:30 p.m. Friday
The Spartans dominated Folsom, running their winning streak over NorCal teams to a mind-boggling 300 games.
4. Mission Viejo (4-0) vs. St. Mary’s, 7 p.m. Friday
The Diablos — No. 8 last week — make a big leap in the rankings after dominating Villa Park 59-0 in one of the most impressive Southern Section victories last week.
5. Cathedral Catholic (3-1) at Eastlake, 7 p.m. Friday
A week after stunning Corona Centennial, the Dons were thoroughly beaten by an underrated Helix team.
6. Corona Centennial (2-2) at Long Beach Poly, 7 p.m. Friday
The Huskies, who have played one of the toughest schedules in the country, hammered Liberty (Nevada) 63-29 last week.
7. JSerra (3-1) vs. No. 14 Calabasas, 7 p.m. Friday
The Lions host No. 12 Calabasas in one of the best games of the week in the Southern Section.
8. Folsom (2-1) at Oak Ridge, 7 p.m. Friday
QB Jake Reithmeier was a bright spot in Folsom’s loss to De La Salle, throwing for 336 yards and three touchdowns.
9. St. Augustine (4-0) vs. No. 11 Helix, 7 p.m. Friday
The Saints have outscored their four opponents by a margin of 188-12. Helix will be their first real test.
10. Grace Brethren (4-0) bye week
Grace Brethren’s explosive offense is averaging 45.3 points per game. They should be 8-0 heading into their Oct. 25 showdown with Sierra Canyon.
11. Helix (2-1) at No. 9 St. Augustine, 7 p.m. Friday
Elelyon Noa had 116 rushing yards, 79 receiving yards and three total touchdowns in Helix’s 45-27 upset of Cathedral Catholic. Can the Highlanders do it again vs. St. Augustine?
12. Narbonne (3-1) vs. No. 13 Serra, 7 p.m. Friday
Narbonne QB Jake Garcia was dominant in their 38-0 win over Orange Lutheran. Now comes the showdown with Serra.
Serra had to rally to beat Long Beach Poly last week. They’ll have to bring their “A” game against Narbonne.
14. Calabasas (3-1) at No. 7 JSerra, 7 p.m. Friday
QB Jaden Casey is hot. He threw six TD passes in the Coyotes’ 46-35 win over La Habra last week. This will be their third straight game against a Top 20 opponent.
15. Corona del Mar (4-0) bye week
The Sea Kings get to enjoy the bye week after dismantling Lakewood 56-7.
16. Norco (3-0) at Redlands East Valley, 7 p.m. Friday
QB Shane Illingworth leads one of the most explosive offenses in the state. The Cougars are averaging 53.3 points per game, and Illingworth threw for 567 yards and seven TDs last week.
17. Servite (2-1) vs. Villa Park, 7 p.m. Friday
After this week it gets brutal for the Friars. They are set to face Notre Dame, St. John Bosco and Mater Dei in consecutive weeks.
18. Sierra Canyon (3-1) at St. Paul, 7:30 p.m. Friday
After losing to Oaks Christian, the Trailblazers focused on getting to the quarterback to try to get back on track. The plan worked in their 28-10 win over Valencia. “After last week’s loss we’re a new team,” safety Cole Bullock said. “We came back with a lot more hype and a lot more pressure on defense; that was our goal all week.”
19. Central (Fresno) (4-0) at Turlock, 7 p.m. Friday
QB Jameson Silva completed 10-of-13 passes for 233 yards and four TDs as the Grizzlies routed Paso Robles 49-0 last week.
20. Notre Dame (Sherman Oaks) (3-0) vs. Birmingham, 7 p.m. Friday
The Knights weren’t sharp on offense last week, but their defense was dominant.
21. Liberty (Brentwood) (4-0) vs. Cardinal Newman, 6 p.m. Saturday
In a matchup of two of the best teams in Northern California last week, Liberty held its breath as Monte Vista’s potential game-tying 36-yard field goal attempt fell short with eight seconds left in the game.
22. La Habra (2-2) at Diamond Ranch, 7 p.m. Friday
The Highlanders enter an easier stretch after dropping two in a row to top-15 teams in Mission Viejo and Calabasas.
23. Buchanan (Clovis) (3-1) at No. 3 De La Salle, 7:30 p.m. Friday
Filling in for 5-star running back Kendall Milton (quad injury), Cade Uehling had a 73-yard TD scamper and a 75-yard TD reception to lead Buchanan past Liberty 19-17 last Thursday.
24. Upland (3-1) bye week
Justin Flowe and the Highlanders get a week off to prepare for Mission Viejo.
25. Alemany (4-0) at Downey, 7 p.m. Friday
Miller Moss and Alemany jumps into the Top 25 after an impressive 44-7 win over Oaks Christian.