With the coronavirus continuing to spread in California, the CIF officially pushed back the 2020-2021 California high school sports calendar to December. Since the CIF’s announcement of the new calendar on July 20, seven of California’s 10 sections have made announcements about their sports schedules for the upcoming school year.
That means we officially know when the boys and girls high school cross country seasons are scheduled to start.
The L.A. City Section, Central Section, North Coast Section, Sac-Joaquin Section, and Central Coast Section are all scheduled to begin practices on Dec. 14. Most sections have set a start date for contests on either Dec. 26 or 28.
The one outlier is the Northern Section. The section said that their schools can begin fall sports as soon as county health department officials approve it. That means they could attempt to start the boys and girls cross country seasons within the next few months, and potentially be excluded from the CIF playoffs.
Here are the cross country season start dates for each section:
- Southern Section: practice start date has not been announced; meets are scheduled to start Dec. 26
- LA City Section: practice is scheduled to start Dec. 14; meets are scheduled to start Dec. 26
- Central Section: practice is scheduled to start Dec. 14; meets are scheduled to start Dec. 28
- Sac-Joaquin Section: practice is scheduled to start Dec. 14; meets are scheduled to start Dec. 28
- North Coast Section: practice is scheduled to start Dec. 14; meet start date has not been announced
- Central Coast Section: practice is scheduled to start Dec. 14; meets are scheduled to start Dec. 28
- Northern Section: could start playing in the fall if cleared by local health officials
- San Diego Section: will make announcement in coming weeks
- San Francisco Section: no announcement yet
- Oakland Section: no announcement yet
How many meets will teams run?
It will vary by section, but early indications are most teams will attempt to conduct a full regular season. As one example, the Southern Section is standardizing the length of every sports season to 72 days. Since boys and girls cross country season was previously 70 days, they should have no issue conducting a full regular season.
Will Section Championships be played?
The CIF calendar allows for full Section Championships to take place. Boys and girls cross country sectional playoffs must be finished by March 20.
Will Regional and State Championships be played?
Teams from sections who play within the CIF’s time frame will also be eligible to compete for CIF State or Regional championships, which are scheduled to wrap up on March 27 (one week after the Section Championships).
SBLive will keep this post updated on any future updates to California’s high school boys and girls cross country seasons, including announcements from sections who have yet to release their calendar.