California Gov. Gavin Newsom was asked about the return to youth sports at a press conference in Oakland on Wednesday. Here’s what he had to say on the topic:
“Last week we made an announcement that allowed for youth sports like track and field to take place. We are and we have provided a framework to allow certain youth sports to take shape in competition. With that said, we have been in very direct conversations, personally, I launched those conversations last week.
“My team is in constant contact trying to work through these different tiers. The red tier you’ll start to see baseball and in subsequent tiers you’ll start to see football. I’ll be honest with you, a lot of this is driven by football with folks wanting to get a football season in and I’m deeply sensitive to that. As I said, I have four kids who not only want to get educated, but they love sports and so I recognize all of the benefits, physical and mental, as well as the benefits to teachers and parents that have kids who are engaged in physical activities in terms of our responsibility to support those children as well.”
“So we want to see this happen. We want to do it safely. A lot of great data has been provided by the same groups that are suing us. If I was concerned about lawsuits, I would have collapsed a year ago. We receive dozens of lawsuits every week and some of them are from folks that are very close to us. It’s clarifying. It allows for focus. Some are specious and political, others [like the one regarding youth sports] I think are quite legitimate in terms of ultimately what they want to achieve. I share that and we are processing that.
“I am hopeful and I really mean this, that we can find a compromise here and I believe that’s possible as long as these case rates continue to move in the direction they’re moving.”