Here are Scorebook Live’s Top 25 Southern California high school football rankings for the week of Sept. 30. Our rankings encompass the Southern Section, LA City Section and San Diego Section. The rankings are compiled by Scorebook Live California reporters Connor Morrissette, Bodie DeSilva and Lance Smith.
1. Mater Dei (5-0) – vs. #23 Orange Lutheran
A few days after committing to Alabama, Bryce Young gave Crimson Tide fans a glimpse of his immense talent, completing 26-of-37 passes for 416 yards and 5 TDs in a 53-24 win over St. John’s (Washington DC) Friday. What will Young do against Orange Lutheran?
2. St. John Bosco (5-0) – at #12 Servite
The Braves were on the bye ahead of the start of Trinity League play.
3. Mission Viejo (6-0) – at El Toro
One of the best defenses in the state had another dominant performance in a 38-3 win over Upland on Friday.
4. Helix (4-1) – vs. El Capitan
Elelyon Noa rushed for 276 yards and 4 TDs in Helix’s 42-17 win over Oaks Christian. There isn’t a better running back in Southern California.
5. Cathedral Catholic (5-1) – vs. Point Loma
QB DJ Ralph threw two TD passes and ran for another and Zavien Watson added a pair of TD runs as the Dons rolled 63-0 over Otay Ranch on Friday.
6. Corona Centennial (3-2) – vs. Santiago
Don’t expect Corona Centennial to drop another regular season game with Big VIII play beginning.
7. JSerra (4-1) – vs. Santa Margarita
The Lions had the week off before the start of Trinity League play.
8. Grace Brethren (5-0) – vs. Bishop Diego
In Grace’s 49-35 win over Westlake, Josh Henderson ran for 273 yards and five TDs.
9. Narbonne (5-1) – at San Pedro
Alonso Person — a sack, an interception and a fumble recovery TD — spearheaded a dominant defensive effort by the Gauchos in their 28-0 win over Lawndale Friday.
10. St. Augustine (4-1) – at Morse
The Saints were off last week following their 44-38 defeat to #4 Helix.
11. Corona del Mar 5-0 – at Huntington Beach
CDM beat #23 San Clemente 42-21 on Thursday. The victory gives the Sea Kings a strong chance to go undefeated in the regular season.
12. Servite 4-1 – at #2 St. John Bosco
Servite beat #18 Notre Dame Sherman Oaks 16-13 on Friday behind their star-studded sophomore class. Second-ranked St. John Bosco awaits.
13. Serra Gardena 4-1 – at Loyola
After squeaking passed Cathedral 13-7, Serra travels to Loyola Friday looking to begin Mission League play on a high.
14. Alemany 5-0 – vs. #16 Bishop Amat
Alemany has had two weeks to prepare for Damien Moore and #16 Bishop Amat.
15. Calabasas 4-2 – vs. Westlake
Calabasas beat Valencia 35-7 last Friday. The Coyotes play Marmonte League foe Westlake this week, the team that nearly upset Grace Brethren.
16. Bishop Amat 4-1 – at #14 Alemany
Bishop Amat has had two weeks to prepare for undefeated #14 Alemany.
17. Sierra Canyon 5-1 – at Crespi
QB Chayden Perry threw for 192 yards and two TDs as the Trailblazers won their third consecutive game 31-10 over Bakersfield Friday.
18. Notre Dame Sherman Oaks 4-1 – at Chaminade
The Knights suffered their first defeat of the season against #12 Servite Friday losing 16-13.
19. La Habra 3-2 – vs. Buena Park
The Highlanders won’t lose a game the rest of the way with Freeway League play starting Friday.
20. Upland 3-2 – vs. Damien
Upland had a tough time against #3 Mission Viejo on Friday falling 38-3. They’ll look to take their anger out on Baseline League teams beginning Friday with Damien.
21. Rancho Verde 4-1 – vs. Temescal Canyon
Jordan Jefferson scored five TDs as Rancho Verde knocked off #22 Norco 63-35 Friday. The win propelled the Mustangs back into the Top 25.
22. Norco 4-1 – at King
Norco’s surprising 63-35 home defeat to #21 Rancho Verde sees the Cougars fall to 22.
23. San Clemente 5-1 – vs. #25 Tesoro
The Tritons will look to avoid a losing streak as they host #25 Tesoro Friday.
24. Orange Lutheran 3-2 – at #1 Mater Dei
The Lancers had their bye week at the right time. They’ve had two weeks to prepare for #1 Mater Dei.
25. Tesoro 6-0 – at #23 San Clemente
After beating Poway 44-3, Tesoro starts South Coast League play with a bang against #23 San Clemente.