Here are Scorebook Live’s Top 25 Southern California high school football rankings for the week of Aug. 26. Our rankings encompass the Southern Section, LA City Section and San Diego Section.
1. Mater Dei – 1-0 – home vs. Villa Park Thursday
We had the Monarchs at No. 2 in our preseason rankings, but their 42-12 season-opening win against Corona Centennial was so impressive that they’re up to No. 1 this week and should stay there for a while. The big game with St. John Bosco comes on October 25.
2. St. John Bosco – 1-0 – home vs. Don Bosco Prep Friday
The Braves had a convincing victory against a national powerhouse in their own right, defeating DeMatha 35-7. Their next four games all come vs. teams from other states, and two will be on the road.
3. JSerra – 1-0 – neutral vs. St. Joseph Regional Saturday
JSerra went all the way to Utah last week to knock off East, 24-14. This Saturday, they’ll have an opportunity to make a massive statement against St. Joseph Regional. The Lions will take on arguably the best team in New Jersey in a neutral setting at Cathedral (San Diego).
4. Corona Centennial – 0-1 – home vs. Orange Lutheran Friday
While we did drop the Huskies a spot after they were blown out last week, Mater Dei can do that to just about anybody. They’ll have an opportunity to bounce back against another Trinity League team, Orange Lutheran, on Friday.
5. Narbonne – 1-0 – neutral vs. Lone Peak Saturday
Narbonne is up three spots after soundly beating a very good Buchanan team, 32-7. They’ll see a test on Saturday against Utah powerhouse Lone Peak.
6. Mission Viejo – 1-0 – neutral vs. Santa Margarita Friday
The Diablos’ bi-yearly trip was a success this year in Hawaii, as they defeated Konawaena 38-14. Their matchup against Santa Margarita on Friday in Trabuco Hills will be a game to watch.
7. Calabasas – 1-0 – @ Rancho Cucamonga Thursday
Their 29-14 victory over Bakersfield on Friday could’ve been more convincing, but Calabasas is formidable. They’ll face another elite public school in Rancho Cucamonga this week.
8. Sierra Canyon – 1-0 – neutral vs. Lawndale Friday
Last Friday, the Trailblazers rolled past an excellent Westlake team, 26-7. They have more excellent competition coming right up with state champion Lawndale on Friday and then Oaks Christian.
9. Corona del Mar – 1-0 – @ Saint Francis Friday
CDM dropped 57 points on Downey last week to start the season, winning by 37. The Sea Kings will be up in the Bay Area on Friday playing against Saint Francis in Mountain View.
10. Grace Brethren – 1-0 – @ Oaks Christian Friday
The Lancers had a nice 42-18 victory over Aquinas last Friday. This week, they will be really tested on the road by Oaks Christian.
11. Servite – 0-0 – @ JW North Friday
The Friars only have one game to prepare for Bishop Gorman, and that’s this week against JW North.
12. Notre Dame (Sherman Oaks) – 0-0 – neutral vs. Desert Vista Saturday
QB Cooper Meek leads Notre Dame into its season opener against Desert Vista in the Honor Bowl.
13. Norco – 1-0- bye-week
The Cougars endured Williams Field and the grueling Arizona heat to win 52-27 last week on the road. After a bye week, they have an exciting matchup against Rancho Cucamonga on Sept. 6.
14. Oaks Christian – 1-0 – home vs. Grace Brethren Friday
We dropped the Lions a couple spots after their 13-7 victory at Chaminade. Their offensive execution left a lot to be desired. They got the victory though, and will have an excellent opportunity to prove themselves on Friday against Grace Brethren.
15. Rancho Cucamonga – 1-0 – home vs. Calabasas Thursday
We bumped Rancho Cucamonga up five spots after they beat Roosevelt 50-31 last week. The next two weeks will be brutal as they face Calabasas and Norco.
16. Orange Lutheran – 1-0 – @ Corona Centennial Friday
OLu narrowly defeated San Juan Hills 27-21 last week. Up next is a Corona Centennial squad that will be hungry to bounce back from Mater Dei.
17. Lawndale – 0-0 – neutral vs. Sierra Canyon Friday
The reigning state 2-A champs open the season on Friday against Sierra Canyon.
18. La Habra – 1-0 – home vs. Redlands East Valley Friday
The Highlanders started the year off right with a victory over powerful Upland. They host Redlands East Valley this Friday before playing Mission Viejo and Calabasas in the following weeks.
19. Bishop Amat – 1-0 – @ Paramount Friday
The Lancers’ defense was impressive in Thursday’s 17-0 shutout victory over Diamond Ranch. They’re on the road Friday against Paramount before facing JSerra the following week.
Serra hopes to start the season off with a win this week against Garfield. Their schedule gets tough in following weeks, with Calabasas, Long Beach Poly and Narbonne on deck.
21. Bishop Alemany – 2-0 – bye-week
Miller Moss and the Warriors had another big offensive performance, beating Higley 55-16 in Arizona. Now they get a bye week before taking on Dorsey on the road.
22. Rancho Verde – 1-0 – @ Santiago Friday
The Mustangs rolled in their opener, shutting out Quartz Valley 49-0. Friday they play Santiago, with Upland and Norco also lurking in the near future.
23. San Clemente – 1-0 – home vs. Torrey Pines Friday
Jumping two spots on our list is San Clemente after defeating Oceanside 35-13. This Friday they host San Diego power Torrey Pines.
24. Santa Margarita – 1-0 – neutral vs. Mission Viejo Friday
The Eagles jump into the Top 25 after beating Redlands Valley East 33-14 last week. They have another neutral game this week, a major test against Mission Viejo.
25. Villa Park – 0-0 – @ Mater Dei Thursday
We are all going to find out what Villa Park is made of, and quite soon. They start the season off against Mater Dei, Mission Viejo, and Servite.
Moved out: Upland, Los Alamitos
Moved in: Villa Park, Santa Margarita