How the Top 25 Arkansas high school football teams fared Friday night (Photo by Jimmy Jones)
1. Bryant (0-0) Idle – (Plays Benton Saturday)
2. North Little Rock (0-0) Idle (Hosts Springdale Har-Ber Sept. 3)
3. Pulaski Academy beat Joe T. Robinson 60-21
The Bruins trailed 7-0 early and then rattled of 38 points to put the game away midway through the second quarter in coach Anthony Lucas’ debut.
4. Greenwood (1-0) beat Muskogee (Okla.) 63-21
The Bulldogs haven’t lost since a 50-38 setback against Searcy in the 2019 playoffs.
5. Cabot (1-0) beat Searcy 35-7
The Panthers ruined coach Zak Clark’s debut with the Lions in a dominant victory.
6. Bentonville (1-0) beat Liberty (Mo.) 43-30
The Tigers took care of Liberty, which was ranked No. 5 in SBLive’s Missouri’s preseason Top 25 poll, with senior quarterback Drew Wright shining in his varsity starting debut.
7. Conway (0-1) lost to Fayetteville 41-24
Not only a loss on the road to open the season, but diminutive star running back Manny Smith left with an undisclosed injury.
8. Fayetteville (1-0) beat Conway 41-24
A quality win coach Casey Dick desperately needed as the Bulldogs look for a comeback season in 2021.
9. Shiloh Christian (1-0) beat Pea Ridge 55-13
The Saints had this one wrapped up in the first quarter against the Class 5A Blackhawks in former Arkansas offensive lineman Brey Cook’s debut as coach.
10. Lake Hamilton (1-0) beat Lakeside 48-14
The Wolves smacked their Garland County rivals after taking a 31-17 win last fall.
11. Har-Ber (0-0) – Idle (Plays McKinney (Texas) Saturday)
12. Bentonvile West (0-1) lost to Mansfield (Texas) 28-21
The Wolverines were tied late but couldn’t hold off the Tigers, who finished 4-7 in 2020.
13. Little Rock Christian (1-0) beat Little Rock Central 41-14
The Class 5A Warriors beat up on the Class 7A Tigers for the second consecutive season.
14. Benton (0-0) – Idle (Plays Bryant Saturday)
15. LR Catholic (0-1) lost to Jonesboro 37-7
A young Rockets team ran into a buzzsaw at JHS.
16. El Dorado (0-0) – Idle (Plays at Camden Fairview Thursday)
17. FS Northside (1-0) beat Fort Smith Southside 31-16
The Grizzlies have yielded only 23 points to their city rivals in the past two meetings.
18. Harrison beat Magnolia 26-7
The Goblins notched an impressive win against a talented Panthers team that was electric offensively in a scrimmage against Jacksonville last week.
19. Jonesboro (1-0) beat Little Rock Catholic 37-7
The Hurricane might have been expected to win, but they dominated the Class 7A Rockets and will undoubtedly move up in next week’s poll.
20. Wynne (0-1) lost to Marion 24-21
Dylan Pieri drilled a 42-yard field goal with time running out to stun Wynne.
21. Stuttgart (1-0) beat DeWitt 41-14
The Ricebirds dampen veteran coach Tommy Cody’s return to high school football.
22. Harding Academy (1-0) beat Bald Knob 42-8
The defending Class 3A champions’ in-state winning streak climbs to 28 games.
23. Warren (0-0) – Idle (Plays next Friday at White Hall)
24. Joe T. Robinson (0-1) lost to Pulaski Academy 60-21
The Senators took an early 7-0 lead on their first possession and never led again.
25. Fordyce (1-0) beat Rison 20-16
The two-time defending Class 2A state champion Redbugs won in a nailbiter over the rival Wildcats for the second consecutive season.