Here’s a look at how SBLive’s Top 20 Arkansas high school football teams fared in games played on Friday, Sept. 4.
HOW THE TOP 20 FARED
1. Bryant (2-0) beat Marion 57-17
Bryant has outscored its first two opponents (Benton and Marion) 105-24 in 2020.
2. North Little Rock (1-0) beat No. 11 Har-Ber 41-28
North Little Rock started the JR Eldridge era with a victory. Eldridge previously coached at Arkadelphia.
3. Bentonville (1-0) beat No. 6 Conway 47-21
Bentonville led 17-14 at halftime, but cruised in the second half to a 47-21 season opening victory.
4. Pulaski Academy (1-0) – Idle
5. Greenwood (1-0) beat Fort Smith Southside 42-3
Greenwood receiver Caden Brown started the game with a 93-yard kick off return for a touchdown and the Bulldogs never looked back.
6. Conway (1-1) lost to No. 3 Bentonville 47-21
Conway led 14-7 following a Jamaal Bethune 31-yard TD run in the first quarter, but that was the only lead of the game for the Wampus Cats.
7. Little Rock Christian Academy (2-0) beat Searcy 37-28
LR Christian knocked off last year’s 6A champs to move to 2-0.
8. Cabot (2-0) beat Jonesboro 36-32
Braden Jay returned a kick-off 95 yards to help Cabot edge Jonesboro in a thriller.
9. Bentonville West (Centerton) (1-1) beat Muskogee (Okla.) 41-0
Dalton McDonald passed for two scores and ran for three more in the Bentonville West win.
10. Benton (0-1) – Idle
11. Har-Ber (Springdale) (0-2) lost to No. 2 North Little Rock 41-28
Har-Ber is 0-2, but has played two very strong opponents in Jenks (Okla.) and North Little Rock.
12. Jonesboro (1-1) lost to No. 8 Cabot 36-32
Cross Jumper made this incredible TD throw to Dawson Wagner, but it wasn’t enough as Jonesboro fell 36-32 in one of the games of the year so far in Arkansas high school football.
13. Robinson (Little Rock) (1-1) beat Maumelle 28-20
Robinson senior Hunter Smith had a kick off return for a TD to put the Senators ahead 28-13 in the third quarter. That was the game-winning score.
14. Parkview (1-0) beat LR Southwest 49-0
Parkview rolled in their season opener. Landon Rogers had a 72-yard TD pass to Erin Outley in the game. Both Rogers and Outley are Arkansas commits.
15. West Memphis (1-1) lost to Wynne 39-6
Terry Wells, an Arkansas offensive line commit, and his Wynne team dominated West Memphis.
16. Central (Little Rock) (1-1) beat LR Hall 41-6
Central won this year’s Battle of the Bell by a wide margin.
17. Fayetteville (0-2) lost to Owasso (Okla.) 31-17
Fayetteville, a preseason top 10 team in Arkansas, has struggled out of the gate this season.
18. Lake Hamilton (1-0) – Idle
19. Van Buren (2-0) beat Alma 35-0
For the third straight year, Van Buren has won the Battle of the Bone. Van Buren QB Gary Phillips completed 13 of 18 passes for 241 yards and two touchdowns Friday night. He also rushed for 115 yards and two scores.
20. Harding Academy (1-0) beat Mena 44-20
After having to skip their would-be season opener last week due to COVID-19, Harding Academy took down Mena this week to begin the year.